Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me!


My Mom and I are very close. I am her only daughter and the oldest of her three children. I talk to my Mom on the phone every day, since the day I left home to go to college 32 years ago. Sometimes we talk for five minutes, sometimes we talk for much longer. Some days we talk more than once. Every year, my Mom calls me on my birthday and tells me the story of the day I was born. The story changes slightly from year to year. Sometimes new details emerge. My Mom wrote the blog post below but she left out the part where she was wearing her brown plaid wool coat and her fur hat. 

Here I am this past January in Florida with my Mom, my niece Rachel, and my sister-in-law Diane.

Fifty Years Ago Today, The Day Nancy Was Born... A blog post written by my Mom
It’s the middle of the night and I am almost jolted out of bed. Though this is my first time, I know immediately that this is it. That long expected blessed event is beginning now, three weeks early, but who is complaining. I wake my sleeping spouse who reluctantly opens his eyes and tries to comprehend what is happening. I hate to tell him this is his last uninterrupted night of sleep (for the next 20 years or so) but together we decide to wait a while to call the doctor. These were the days when we wouldn’t want to trouble the doctor by a 2 a.m. phone call. Dozing and groaning we wait until 9 a.m. and after a brief talk with the nurse by phone, we stop at the doctor’s office. Too early, he decides. Go home and come back around 5 p.m. So back we drive through the cold and snowy Massachusetts’ streets and I decide to take advantage of my time by putting up a nice chicken dinner for the new daddy to enjoy. Big mistake. Barely had I taken the chicken out (which I would later remember as looking strikingly like a new born baby) than the real baby becomes insistent. Back we go to the hospital and before I know it, I am prepped and sedated for the big event. In those days, the doctors preferred that we not participate so I sleep through the whole thing.

Late in the afternoon, I am finally awake enough to realize where I am and say in a groggy voice to my husband at my bedside, “Did I have the baby?” He laughs and replies, “Yes, a baby girl.” The nurse comes in with a tightly swathed baby and I get my first glimpse of Nancy, a full head of straight black hair adorned by a green ribbon (for the upcoming St. Patrick’s  Day holiday) and two bright dark eyes in a face still red from her journey. Her two little fists are tightly clenched and she has a look that seems to say, “Where am I and how did I get here?” With a baby blanket tightly wrapped around her, she looks like a little papoose, a nickname her grandmother would call her for a while.

So we all began our journey together as a family. Nothing would ever be the same again and we would all grow together and learn from each other, bound by that strong bond of love that only a baby can engender. So Happy Birthday, Nancy! You are still my baby.

I am having a 3-day quilting birthday party to celebrate! It's the big 50 this year! Hard to believe that I am half a century old (young?).

Happy Birthday to me!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

8 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    Great story. Your mom has a way with words. Hope your birthday weekend is great.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nancy: Reading Mom's blog brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful story. My daughter, also my first born, turns 50 this year. Enjoy your
    quilty celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story and it is even better when they remember it and share it with you. I still think that we lived 1/2 a century and the next half is going to be better yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Three week early babies are great! My first child, a girl, was three weeks early. Enjoy your quilting weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50? I'm in my fifties too, and it's okay! Of course the AARP mail starts coming...
    Since I'm sort of like a "sew sister", could I be a sort of pretend, not-really-but-wish-I were, in-my-mind a daughter of your great mom too? Your relationship sounds so great!! It reminds me of the tv show Gilmore Girls, where the mom wakes the daughter up every birthday and tells her the story of her birth!
    Happy b-day pug mom! Enjoy your sewing and get ready for a great year.
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I know what I am doing on my 50th a three day quilting party sounds awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Nancy. Party like you will never be 50 again! Just remember, age is just a number. Enjoy your life and forget your age.....always. I loved your mom's story. She should be a guest blogger more often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Nancy, Happy Birthday to you! Do you know you share the same birthday as my eldest daughter, as she celebrated her birthday yesterday as well,
    but she celebrated in India (where she lives).
    I loved reading your mother's post, it was written so beautifully. I have to tell you I laughed when I read that she thought the chicken looked a little like a new born baby.
    You sound like you had a wonderful 50th birthday with your friends and how perfect that Mike played his guitar to celebrate your birthday.
    Before I go, I have to tell you, I read somewhere, that 50 is the new 30.... but as my mother would say (who is 83 years young) it's only a number, it doesn't mean a thing.
    Best Wishes to you
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete