Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Rainbow Connection

I'm not certain why this quilt has barely appeared in my blog. I started this project in a class with Bonnie Hunter at the Vermont Quilt Festival in July 2012. Hard to believe that 2012 was five years ago. It is a free pattern, Scrappy Trips, on her website.

I finished the top at the end of last year. And then it sat and marinated for a while. Meanwhile my friend Kate moved to Florida and sold her long arm quilting machine and my friend Terri had a brand new grandbaby so she was too busy to do the machine quilting. I knew I wanted something more intricate for the quilting design than a generic pantograph.

Enter Marie, of Coady Quilts. Marie makes custom memory quilts and also does long arm quilting. I met Marie through my brother Gary. Ironically, Gary and Marie have never met. They have a mutual friend on Facebook. Marie quilted my top in an allover feather design (my choice) in a variegated pink thread. I asked Marie to choose the thread color as long as it wasn't brown! I'm not sure if she knew that pink is my favorite color, but it looks perfect on my quilt of many colors. Didn't she do a beautiful job quilting it?
Photo credit: Coady Quilts
Photo credit: Coady Quilts
Photo credit: Coady Quilts
Photo credit: Coady Quilts
Photo credit: Coady Quilts
Photo credit: Coady Quilts
The quilt is all batik and made entirely from my stash. It looks different from every angle. Below are some photos of the top before Marie quilted it for me.

I assembled it last October at our Brown Bagger weekend and several of my Brown Bagger friends helped me sort my blocks from light to dark in a rainbow like pattern. I made the blocks with no color pattern in mind, just combining different strips that I liked together. I also tried the layout as just random blocks of color, but I preferred it its color-sorted final version.

The quilt is huge, measuring 96" square, shown here on my queen size bed.
It looks better with a pug on it! LarryPug
LarryPug! My favorite quilt model! He looks good on everything!
Here's Kermit with the Rainbow Connection song. Warning, you may sing it in your head all day...

My quilt just needs a binding and it will be finished! What color would you choose? Or should I just go scrappy?

Thanks for visiting!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I think a bright would be the perfect binding, maybe the bright green or a hot pink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks better with a pug on it. Lovely quilt! I would suggest a deep purple binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go with bright pink, even if you have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and of course every quilt looks better with a pug on it. I think pink too.

    ReplyDelete