Thursday, July 25, 2013

Oh Baby Love

Two handsome baby boys were born this past Monday, July 22, 2013. Across the ocean in England,  while the whole world watched and waited, HRH Prince George of Cambridge was born on Monday evening. Back here in the States, awaited by a slightly smaller crowd but just as eagerly anticipated, my friend Anna gave birth to her darling baby boy, Logan. Logan was born at 7:49 a.m. on Monday morning. He weighed 9lbs, 1 oz and is 23" long. So, he's actually a little bit heavier than the Prince, although I'm sure that HRH Prince George will catch up in no time.

Meet Logan!

First family photo

This week, I have been busy making baby quilts. Note: I'm not making one for HRH, although Kate has only to ask (her wish is my command), and Logan's baby quilt is finished and waiting for him in his crib. I completed two quilt tops this week. They are both the same pattern, but the fabric choices make them look very different. I prefer the brighter colors in the construction quilt. The pattern is called 4-Patch, Plain Patch and it is found in Ursula Reike's Quilts for Baby which is one of my go-to quilting books. Both baby quilts were made entirely of fabric found in my stash. I didn't need to buy a thing.

The Winnie the Pooh quilt below is going to my friend Helena who is having her third child next month. She is supposed to be having a boy. Her two previous ultrasounds were both wrong, so I figured that Winnie the Pooh is fairly gender neutral in case little Jacob turns out to be little Jessica.

Winnie the Pooh Baby Quilt

My Mom had a double knee replacement in June. My two brothers and I each went to Florida and took a turn helping out, but she has needed some full time help for an extended period (this was expected). She has found a wonderful woman named Charisse who has been helping out with cooking and errands. Charisse has also been doing double duty as a computer consultant and helping my Dad with his new laptop computer and tablet. My Mom, of course, was showing off my blog to Charisse who admired the quilts and wanted to buy one for a baby gift. I am making the baby quilt below as a gift for Charisse (who in turn will give it as a gift) because I really appreciate what great care she has taken of my Mom. P.S., my Mom is doing great!

Construction Vehicles Baby Quilt

I am also including a couple of other photos so you can get a better look at the fabric in these quilts.



As long as we're talking about royalty, you must check out my friend Beth's shoes--they are definitely fit for a Queen! She was wearing them at our quilt group tonight and I was quite envious...not to mention that she snagged them last year for a mere $5!

Can you get any better than gold metallic wedges with a leopard print bow? Oh, baby!

I still need to quilt both tops, but my two oldest nephews, ages 14 and 17, are coming to spend the weekend with us, so quilting will have to wait until next week. Mike and I are looking forward to doing some different activities than we normally do. So far, indoor rock climbing and a high speed boat ride are on the list. And I'm sure that the pugs will get a lot of extra attention.

Hope you have a great weekend! I am linking up to Richard and Tanya Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric AddictSew Many Ways and Crazy Mom Quilts.

I have just added a new link to Plum and June: Let's Get Acquainted.

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

8 comments:

  1. Such cute baby quilts! You've been busy but I bet you'll be busier with those nephews of yours. Whoop whoop for a great week's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your quilts are adorable . Logan definitely is the cutest ever! And the shoes are pretty snazzy too.
    Visiting from plum and June
    xo jan@sewandsowfarm
    I am a new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable quilts! Lovely finishes for sure. I have a pug too - we adore pugs! We are a little obsessed with them to be completely honest. ;)
    Stopping by from P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the arrival of baby Logan! Little Prince George is the pride of the UK, I even put up my Union Jack bunting in celebration! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new addition! Cute quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Evening Nancy, Logan is gorgeous....so very perfect. Our little Prince George is doing well, we were all on tender hooks waiting for him to arrive. The press were camped outside the hospital for three weeks, but little Prince George decided to keep everyone waiting..... well he is going to be a future king.
    Your Winnie the Pooh quilt is lovely and it will be perfect for Jacob or Jessica. Funnily enough I am going to do a post in the near future about Winnie the Pooh, as my daughters loved the stories when they were little girls..... which I have to admit was a long time ago.
    I love your friend Beth's shoes and I have to say, those beautifully painted toes look like little jewels attached to the shoes.
    My word, you are brave going indoor rock climbing. My husband and daughter are keen rock climbers, but me, I watch from the sidelines, or if they go to Dartmoor rock climbing, I stay home and sew.
    I hope Romeo, Elvis and Larry are keeping well. Me, I am off to the kitchen to make us some supper.
    Best Wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne--you are a no reply blogger--did you know that?
      How wonderful to hear from you! Did George like his quiche? :-) As always, thanks for your wonderful and supportive comments--I can feel your "Atta Girl" from across the ocean! Beth's shoes are indeed fabulous but I wasn't a fan of the blue nail polish...

      I did not go rock climbing. I sent Mike with the two boys and enjoyed a quiet afternoon on the couch with the pugs. They had fun and ended up being gone for a few hours. I was semi-interested in trying it, except I figured I probably wasn't strong enough to pull myself up with my nonexistent upper body strength. I did go miniature golfing with the boys. We had a lot of fun with them, they are very sweet kids.

      Delete