Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Easy Street Mystery Quilt, Part 2

Four of my friends and I are all working on Bonnie Hunter's new mystery quilt, Easy Street. You can find the directions here: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/easy-street-mystery.html
from left to right: Joannie, me, Sally, Marion, and Kim
Here we are holding assorted pieces of Part 1 and Part 2. Kim, a Bonnie Hunter pro, who has almost finished Orca Bay (last year's mystery) has finished Parts 1 and 2. I've finished Part 1, and am working on Part 2, and Joannie, Sally and Marion are working on Part 1. Our friend, Terry, may be joining the Easy Street Quilt Gang--she was admiring our color choices on Sunday when our quilt group got together.

These are very tiny pieces. Much smaller than I typically make quilts with! And there are A LOT tiny of pieces! I guess I should be happy that this is supposed to be one of Bonnie's EASIER projects. I'm happy to report that my sewing is pretty accurate and the blocks are coming out the right size.

Here is my tip: use an empty tissue box as a mini trash can to
contain your trimmed off dog ears. When you're all done, you can
just throw the whole thing in the trash. Great for trimming threads too!

First 10 finished flying geese of Part 2
(only 118 more to go... Oy Vey!)
Have I mentioned that I hate making triangles? But using the Easy Angle ruler and Companion Angle ruler to cut them wasn't too bad. As of Monday evening, I've finished 20 of my Flying Geese and have 14 more ready to sew. I need to cut out some more center purple triangles.

Here is another oldie but goodie that was in the black and white stash, can you say "moo?"
I gave all of the girls a piece of cow fabric for their mystery, except for Joannie who is only using batiks.

Here are Elvis (the black pug) and Romeo in the
quilt studio waiting for Joannie to give them a cookie.

Here is baby Larry keeping busy with a chewy bone.
I am linking up to Bonnie Hunter's Linky Party, Part 2: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-2.html

On a side note, I read two very good books this week, check them out: The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Heidi Durrow and The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown.

Sew on!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

6 comments:

  1. Love that all five of you are doing your mystery quilts together. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun ladies....love the pugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun to quilt with a group! Very cute Pugs, and thanks for the book tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful it must be to have real life friends to share the mystery with. It sounds as if you ladies have alot of fun together as well as working on the mystery. You are so smart to think of using a tissue box for your little bits. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun ya'll must have - I'm anxious for Saturday - there is a group coming to our shop for a sew in - one of the gals has told me she will be working on her Easy St...we've never met - it's going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete