Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Birthday Romeo!

My little pug Romeo turned 11 on December 23rd. I got Romeo after 9/11. Having spent that day crying and praying and not too certain that the whole world wasn't going to come to an end, I decided that I needed a dog. I've always loved dogs and I realized that life was short and that while I was pretty happy with my life in general, I was going to stop waiting for the right time to get a dog.

Everyone told me not to get a dog. A dog will tie you down, they cautioned me. What if you have to travel for work? What if you want to go away for the weekend? Nevertheless I plunged ahead. I read books and scoured websites and decided that a small dog would be right for me. I narrowed it down to several breeds and decided upon a pug. One of my favorite clients had two pugs and we used to talk daily about their antics. I went to a dog show and met a darling pug and got the name of his breeder. I did initially try to adopt one through Pug Rescue but they were very off-putting.

I contacted the breeder in October. Romeo was born on December 23, 2001, one of four puppies to Pinecone and Hercules. I fenced in my back yard in February. In March, my then-boyfriend and I drove six hours to Maine to pick him up. Romeo was just 4 1/2 pounds, even smaller than the LL Bean boot that he tried to hide behind when we first met him. I remember that the breeder's steps were icy and I clutched the puppy tightly as I carried him to the car.

I can't believe that 11 years have flown by so quickly. Romeo has brought me nothing but joy. He was such a perfect angel that I brought home his half brother, Elvis, the week before Romeo's first birthday. Romeo loves everyone he meets, human or animal, and greets them with an enthusiastic wagging of his curly tail. We call him the Pug Ambassador and joke that he is more popular than our neighbor, the Mayor. Several of our neighbors got pugs after meeting Romeo. He is a wonderful big brother to Elvis and Larry. He loves his PugMom and his Daddy, Mike.

Romeo in the quilt studio

Snoozing in his crate, also known as Romeo's Happy Place

Dressed up as an angel for Halloween several years ago. Naturally brother Elvis was a devil.

A younger, and chubbier, Romeo

Cuddling with his baby.

On the patio

In the kitchen
Brothers Elvis and Larry wish Romeo a Happy Birthday!
Our neighbor, George, lost his golden retriever, Toby, this past week. He was the same age as Romeo and a good dog friend of ours. Is it wrong to wish that Romeo lives forever?

I close with a few of my favorite dog quotes.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.  ~Edith Wharton 

Merry Christmas to all of my friends!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment