Friday, July 11, 2014

The Remains of the Day

Normally we go to my friend Beth's house for the 4th of July. Beth and her Mom, Judi, are great cooks and we always have a very fun time with them. This year we invited Mike's friend Phil, who lives in New Jersey, to come stay with us for the weekend, so we decided to throw a party Chez Pugs so he could meet a lot of our friends. Mike and Phil met their freshman year of college and have been friends ever since.

Hosting our party kept me hopping, so I only took a couple of photos during the actual event. Mike did an outstanding job making barbecued chicken, which he had brined the night before, in addition to homemade potato salad. None of our friends and neighbors showed up empty handed, so we had enough food to feed a small army.

The pugs had a great time visiting with everyone. From left to right: Romeo, Elvis, and LarryPug.
LarryPug is keeping a sharp eye on the food table in case someone drops something.

I made my famous maple cookies. I enjoy eating the raw cookie dough as much as the finished product.

The cookies have maple frosting on top. Yummy!
Kim brought a delicious fruit salad and she even cut the watermelon into stars!
Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!
Paul and Terri tried out my new purple bench.
Terri brought strawberry shortcake...
...with home-made biscuits. Guess who is definitely getting invited back next year!

Joannie brought her famous broccoli salad.

Marcia brought the world's largest salad and she gifted me with the purple platter and purple salad tongs!
Thank you Marcia!
It wouldn't be the 4th of July without patriotic brownies.
The next day, Mike, Phil, the pugs and I cleaned up the last of the party items and hung out in our backyard. It was a gorgeous day.
I ate the last piece of Terri's strawberry shortcake for breakfast.
Phil made us home-made beef ribs with his Mom's secret recipe marinade for dinner.
Joannie and Dan came over to help us eat them. We also feasted on more party leftovers.
Guess who is getting a quilt?
Phil came over to the Studio and I invited him to choose fabrics for a throw for his sofa. He was thrilled. He chose a palette of greens, blues, and teals. I am using a pattern called Colonnade which was designed by my blogging friend Kim from Robot Mom Sews.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Next year I am coming to your house. We had meatloaf and it was just DH and I. Which is nice. When it comes to parties it is either we do it, or there is no party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a good time was had by all. I can't wait to see the quilt finished, those colors are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great party! Thank you for inviting us! Mike's chicken was so juicy. Hubby tried to replicate it last night, but it just didn't have the juiciness Mike's recipe had. Great to have a tour of your studio -- now I am even MORE jealous! Kiss the pugs for us -- terrific to be able to meet Larry finally!

    ReplyDelete