Monday, January 5, 2015

On the 12th Day of Christmas...

This past year (2014) I decided to take it easy and not make any of my holiday gifts. I actually shopped all year long for my family and friends and by the time the holidays rolled around, all my holiday shopping was complete. Although this approach was both practical and economical, it was a little anti-climatic.

I wandered into Joann Fabrics the last week before Christmas and found some really cute Christmas dog fabric. So it may come as no surprise to you that I found myself merrily sewing up pillowcases on the afternoon of December 24th for my friend Cindy, who also is our dog-walker. Cindy loves when I make her pillowcases. She probably has a dozen by now.
Here is Cindy with one of her new pillowcases.
Here's a close-up of the fabric.
I decided that I would extend the Christmas season after I found some more cute dog Christmas fabric at Jo Ann fabrics on my next visit as well as some Christmas owl fabric on Etsy. My five-year old friend Lily loves owls (I've already purchase Valentine owl fabric). So I made five more pillowcases on New Year's Day. The new Christmas dog print on the far left (I made two) is for our new dog sitter Christina (she does overnight dog babysitting). Lily is getting the Christmas owls. I also made pillowcases for Lily's parents. Dad Jeff is getting the flannel camouflage pillowcase and Lily's Mom Dorothy, a music teacher, is getting the one with the grand pianos. I think they will be very surprised when they receive a package tomorrow.
Pillowcases on parade!
After finishing the five pillowcases above, in a wild pillowcase-apalooza, I cut out 10 more pillowcases in assorted fabrics and have them all pinned up sausage style and ready to sew!

Many of you may be unaware that the original last line to the song The Twelve Days of Christmas was intended to be 12 Pillowcases flapping (instead of 12 Drummers Drumming).

Admittedly, I also bought two table runner kits with Christmas dog fabric when I went to Vermont a couple of weeks ago, but I've packed those up for later this year. I should probably make them now before I forget where I've put them!

Hope that all is well in your little piece of the world!

Linking up on Tuesday to Freemotion by the River and Quilt Story: Fabric Tuesday. Thanks for visiting!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

3 comments:

  1. The pillow cases are addicting! But I am not making any more for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't made any pillowcases yet... but now I think I should start! Those are simply adorable! Love the fabrics you picked!

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beautiful pillow case left me going....AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete