Saturday, November 23, 2013

Enhancing the Stash

I've been buying fabric again! Since fabric prices for quilt shop quality cotton seem to have gone through the roof, I've been trying to cut back on my shopping (well, at least a little). While I love to buy fabric, paying $12 to $14 a yard is A LOT of money, especially when a large quilt can require six yards of fabric or more.

So lately, I've been making pillowcases. They satisfy my urge to create. They only take about a yard of fabric. They are quick and easy to sew. And, they make great gifts, for everyone young and old.

Unbelievably, my blog post last week on pillowcases was my most popular blog post so far. I got 600 hits and received 8 comments. Thank you! If you didn't read it, you can click on the link above. The post also has a free pillowcase pattern and video tutorial link.

I bought these beauties at Sewfisticates last weekend on the remnant table
for $2.49 a yard. They are mottled cotton solids. Not quilt shop quality fabric,
but more than adequate for a pillowcase end or an accent stripe.

These little pretties came from the red tag section at my local Jo-Ann Fabrics.
They were 50% off the red tag price, so I paid between $2.49 and $3.00 a yard.
Again, not what I would use to make an heirloom quilt but great for a pillowcase.

I spent some time this week cutting up my new fabrics for pillowcases.
From each of the solid colors, I cut two 10" pieces (for pillowcase ends)
and two 2.5" strips (for accent stripes). I'm not planning to use all of these
fabrics right now, but everything will be cut and ready to sew.
Here are some of my focus fabrics that I'm using. Aren't they fun?
I bought the bacon fabric at Fabric Place Basement to make pillowcases
for my two nephews, Sam and Josh. Ben, my youngest nephew, doesn't eat
bacon, so he is getting a pillowcase with money fabric.

Here is my own pillowcase factory this past Thursday.
I am starting to invade Pat's sewing space.
I currently have 21 pillowcases in progress...is there one in your future?

Have a great day!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment