Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Almost As Good As Being There...

The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is having a very special quilt exhibit. The Pilgrim/Roy Collection is on display and it will run until July 27, 2014. The exhibit focuses on color. Ironically, my husband Mike has already been to the exhibit and he told me it was great. His parents were visiting a few weeks ago and Mike took the day off from work and they visited the museum together. Mike's Dad is an artist and Mike's Mom is really into art too. Mike's Dad used to own an advertising agency and at age 83, he still goes to his studio every day to paint.




Mike took a whole bunch of photos for me but his cell phone broke and he hadn't saved them to his computer. Today, my coworker Scott told me that he went to the quilt exhibit over the weekend with his wife. He took a few photos because he knows that I am a quilter and sent them to my email. He is neither an artist, nor a quilter, and yet he was bowled over by the exhibit.
Scott liked the bold graphics in this red and green quilt.
Scott was fascinated by the embroidery in the center of these log cabin
blocks as well as the use of light and dark fabrics to form shadows.
Scott also liked the contrast in this quilt and wanted to point
out to me the tiny stitching (aka quilting) in this piece.
My husband liked the same quilt as Scott. He sent me
this photo in a text message before his phone died.
I can't wait to go to the Museum and see it. Mike said the exhibit was so good he was willing to go again to see it with me.

If you can't get there in person, you can view this small portion in a slide show. There is also a book on the exhibit.
This gorgeous Double Wedding ring is the icon for the exhibit.
Marion and I are planning a visit on Monday, May 19th. Let me know if you want to join us! I promise to take a lot of photos to share!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Emma and I went yesterday. I don't know if it was the quilts or just a typical Monday but the place was packed with "old ladies". Hundreds of them! I loved the show.

    ReplyDelete