Monday, April 28, 2014

Bright Lights, Big City

This past weekend, my darling husband Mike whisked me off to New York City as a belated 50th birthday gift. We took the train on Friday morning and arrived in NYC around 2pm. After a quick nap to refresh ourselves, we headed out for a delicious 4-course Italian dinner and to an 8pm showing of The Book of Mormon. It was hilarious. Mike treated me to great seats in the Orchestra section. We really enjoyed it.

The next day, we had breakfast at Ellen's Stardust Diner, which was around the corner from our hotel in Times Square. We could even see it from our room. Usually there is a line around the block, but we hit it just right and didn't have to wait. It was a fun place. All the waiters and waitresses sing and dance throughout your whole meal. I had my favorite, chocolate chip pancakes. They were yummy!
This is our waiter performing a duet with one of the other waitresses.
They are standing on a very small ledge between the booths.
The diner is two stories high. You can see the upper level behind them.

Definitely worth a visit if you're in NYC. Handsome husband Mike caught in profile at lower right.

The girl seated next to us was kind enough to take our photo.
We enjoyed The Book of Mormon so much that on Saturday morning we decided to buy tickets for another show. I picked Kinky Boots because we had both enjoyed the movie and I figured at least the costumes would be great. We saw the 2pm matinee and laughed through another great performance. The show was lots of fun, and I'd definitely recommend it. Wish I could get a pair of those fabulous boots (with a lower heel of course)!

And since it was birthday treat weekend, Mike also took me to  The City Quilter. I never pass up an opportunity to go there! I got to meet blogger Chrissie from Made by Chrissie D. She works at The City Quilter and was just darling. I introduced myself and told her that I was one of her many blog readers. She showed me some samples of new fabric due to arrive at the shop. I bought some Star Trek fabric (future quilt for brother Jeff) and some more New York fabric that is custom designed by the shop. I also bought my first piece of echino fabric in a camera print for Mike.

Too quickly our weekend was over, and we headed home on Sunday afternoon. Our three pugs were delighted to have us back home and we were warmly welcomed with a pug serenade by Elvis and pug cuddles from all three snuggle pugs.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my previous blog. I will write back soon!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely mini vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so lovely to meet you too Nancy, I'm glad you had such a great celebration weekend and hope to see you again very soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a whirlwind!! The pic of you two is awesomely cute. The lovahs. Two performances plus the singing waiters. Only in Manhattan. Thanks for the cool travelog.
    LeeAnna Paylor

    ReplyDelete