Sunday, January 7, 2018

A new bag for Anna

Hello My Darling Quilting Peeps!

I didn't mean to stay away from you so long. After all, my work projects are finished and I went on a lovely vacation, but then my computer died... Anyhow, a visit to the Apple Store, lots of technical assistance from my wonderful husband, and voila, I'm back! Oddly, the less I write, the more followers I have on Bloglovin'... not sure how that works... you don't want me to write??

Anyways, this is technically my last finish of 2017. This is the City Zipper by Quilts Illustrated. I've used their patterns many times and I highly recommend them. My bag looks different than the pattern cover because I used one solid piece of fabric for the outside, instead of making a patchwork panel.

My darling friend Anna asked me to make her a diaper bag two years ago when she was expecting Cameron, who will turn one this year. She still needs a diaper bag, PLUS she is expecting a baby girl in June (whom I'm optimistically referring to as "Baby Nancy"), so I had to stop procrastinating and make it.
This is my lovely co-worker Julie modeling the bag.
There are lots of lovely pockets inside this bag. The pattern calls for one large inside pocket on each side and directs you to to decide how many to subdivide. After a phone consultation with Anna, I made two large pockets on one side of the bag and three medium size pockets on the other.
Anna picked out all three fabrics on eQuilter (don't look for them now, Anna bought them almost two years ago. Luckily for me, she is very patient.) When they arrived in the mail, I was stumped for a while with her color choices until I decided to use the olive green for the lining. All three fabrics are batik.
The bag has optional zipper panels on top. They were super easy to make.
This is the outside fabric, which I quilted simply in a two and a half inch grid.
Hopefully, in the next week or two, I will get myself organized and I will write a post with some technical details and give you some tips on the bag's construction. UPDATE: Here is the post with construction details.
Here is our baby Caesar all toasty warm in his coat despite the Siberian-like New England weather conditions this week. Don't worry, the pug boys have only gone out for a quick potty break. It is too cold to do anything else.
Linking up on Tuesday with Connie at Freemotion by the River. Linking up on Saturday to: nd to some great Friday Finish parties: Crazy Mom Quilts,  Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Busy Hands Quilts and MMM Quilts.

Thanks for visiting!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful, restful vacation! Did you buy any fabric? :) Always like to read what has been keeping you busy! I have never heard of the bag designer. I'm off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE how big this bag is. And your color choice makes it very versatile. Oh man...what a storm you guys had! HANG IN THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a great bag. Yes, it must be brutal to go out for potty breaks in that weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tote and what a sweet pic of your little dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I am somehow lost in space. Oh all Hail Caesar he is so pugalicious. The bag is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bag; it's very useful having all those pockets inside. Your friend will certainly be able to get a lot of use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful bag and all those pockets, just perfect. I love the fabric you used too. Adorable baby pic, poor baby, in the cold! We're down in Florida now for 5-6 weeks, yay. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gift!! Your friend is sure to love it. Thanks for the link to your construction detail post! I'm wondering about the zipper panel. Off to see if it made the tutorial...

    ReplyDelete