Friday, August 21, 2015

To Boldly Go...

With my new record-breaking prowess of Monday night, you'd have predicted it to be a week full of quilting progress and blog posts. At a minimum, I was hoping to get my Pets on Quilts entry blog post done, but the weather was quite uncooperative this week, with lots of rain, so no photos outside on my lovely purple bench.

There was one bright spot in my week and it was on Wednesday night! Pat finally made it over to sew with me while Mike went to an after-work event. Since I worked from home that day, Pat showed up right at 5pm and we got several hours of sewing in and had time to treat ourselves to delicious hamburgers at the Met Bar.
Pat, the super sewing whiz, whipped up about 40 blocks, using her shot cotton Kaffe Fassett stripes. These were our 2015 birthday blocks this year. I didn't participate this year because I didn't like the block design, although Pat's look pretty nice...

I finally got started on my brother Jeff's Star Trek Quilt. The quilt will be a birthday gift when Jeff turns the big 5-0 this October. Jeff likes Star Trek and has turned his kids (my niece and nephew) onto Star Trek too. I've made Jeff a couple of Star Trek pillowcases and thought a quilt would be the next logical gift for my Trekkie brother.
I've cornered the market on Star Trek fabric. I think I have enough to make at least two Star Trek quilts. My friend Cindy's husband likes Star Trek also, so maybe I'll make him one for Christmas.
First row is assembled.
I'm using one of my TNT quilt patterns, a free pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop called Lemonade. It is fast and easy and it is a great way to showcase large scale prints. Although I've made this quilt twice before, seen here and here, I finally READ the directions and discovered that you needed to cut the first square in the sashing row at 5.25 inches (it's not actually a square, it's 5.25x5), rather than just cutting the 10x5 rectangle in half. Amazing what an extra half inch will do!

For the ultimate in Star Trek nerdiness, Pat is urging me to make my brother a Star Trek fanny pack with my left over fabrics.

I've recently adopted a zero waste policy in the Quilt Studio.
At left are my large pieces that go back in my Stash, at right are the small pieces that I save for my friend Janet, the scrap quilter, and the string size trimmings go in the bucket to be stuffed into pet beds for donating to the local animal shelter. You can see the first pet bed I made towards the bottom of this post here.

If you have extra time on your hands, be sure to check out (and subscribe to) my non-quilting blog.

Linking up on Friday to Fabric Frenzy Friday, Link a Finish Friday, Whoop Whoop Fridays and Finish It Up Friday.

Thanks for visiting!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy


3 comments:

  1. Those blocks are fantastic! How fun it is to have someone to sew with you.

    I think a fanny pack would be a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt. Can't wait to see it all made up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have all the Star Trek fabrics! Lol Yes, a Star Trek fanny pack! He can wear it proudly to a Star Trek convention.

    ReplyDelete