Wednesday, May 3, 2017

I took the Crayon Challenge

My friend Kim P. issued a Crayon Challenge to our quilt group. We each got to pull two crayons out of a paper bag and we were to make a quilt using those colors. Kim allowed us to add any other colors that we wanted, as long as the two colors we selected were dominant in our project.

We held our "reveal" last month and it was a great show!

The challenge pieces were presented anonymously by number and judged by a panel that included Caroline (Kim and Karen's Mom), our friend Jim, who works at the hotel where we meet and is a talented artist, and several of Caroline's fellow quilting friends in Florida. Jim even brought in additional hotel staffers and guests to see our show.

All photos provided by Kim P.
Kim P: I modified Karen's Pin Showcase pattern. I used the Accuquilt cutter for the circles and Karen's lesson on how to make two-color binding.
Karen created an original design, Tumbling Cats, and you can purchase it here.

Pat made this adorable Christmas pillow complete with pom pom trim!
Marion's table runner was awarded first prize by Caroline and her quilting friends.
Sally made these adorable coasters.
Sandie: My daughter Emma inspired these. She's an art major and I gave her this challenge. She "taught" me the Fibonacci sequence  and I made it. She designed the quilting design on the white one. I was on my own for the sea green, thus the straight lines. These were actually from 2 different challenges and I figure I'll just keep going Fibonacci for all challenges.
Debbie's wall hanging is the Bunny Bait pattern by Patchabilities. My Pug Boys also love carrots, so I could make one and call it Pug Bait!
Valerie went outside the box and made a fabric wrapped bowl and plate.
Nancy D. made this cute little mug rug.
PugMom Quilts: Of course I got orange and beige! So I made a funky orange place mat with a pug on it. The pug is faux suede and I quilted my place mat with a double needle. One day, I'll finish the companion place mat and add the binding to both.
Joannie made this beautiful quilted bag to carry her gym accessories. I assumed that she had purchased it at Vera Bradley until she told me that she had made it for the crayon challenge. Pattern is the Professional Tote.
Lori: I'm really into this hexagon trend. So I thought I'd do that for the challenge. I was just going to do three flower hexagons (the three "burnt sienna" ones and then make stems out of the "green yellow," but I got carried away and it became a flower pot of flowers.
Kim G: My goal was to make four panels: two with wisteria backgrounds, two with royal purple backgrounds. After making one tree, I knew it was time to move on and call it a day!
Thanks for visiting! Have you ever done a crayon challenge? Which one of our pieces is your favorite?

Linking up with:
Midweek Makers
Wednesday Weight Loss
Needle and Thread Thursday
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop
Finished or Not Friday
Quilting is more fun than housework hosting for TGIFF 

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

9 comments:

  1. What a great challenge! I really enjoyed seeing all the interpretations of the two colors they drew. Hmm! That would be difficult if you picked two colors you really hate. I wonder if that happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...what a fun playful challenge. Looks like everyone had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    What a creative and fun challenge, and everyone did such a nice job. I love that they shared the crayons they chose. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too fun! I need to bring up the crayon challenge at our next guild meeting! Everyone did such a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun challenge! It's great to see everyone's different ideas for using their colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like such a fun challenge! And everyone's projects look fantastic - thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome challenge! You sure have a talented group...there's no way to pick a favorite! I sure don't envy your judges! Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun challenge! I too would have trouble picking a winner. Let us know if you want to do that challenge again and open it up to all of the online quilters ~

    ReplyDelete