Sunday, September 29, 2013

Metro Rings Class Report

On Saturday, Pat and I are took the class Metro Rings at Quilter's Way in Acton. Quilter's Way is a lovely store filled with bright, contemporary fabric, including some of my favorites such as Kaffe Fassett and batiks. They had lot of great polka dots and black and white fabrics as well. They also have a small stock of flannel, minkee and rayon fabrics.

Pat and I shared a table. Half way through the class we decided to approach the class as a team project. Pat's shoulder was hurting, so she was having problems cutting. I love to cut and Pat can sew like the wind, so it was beneficial to both of us. I squared up her blocks while she sewed mine together. The technique involves making the blocks oversized and then trimming them down using a special ruler designed for the pattern. Pat did a little cutting and I did some sewing so we would be familiar with the whole skill set needed for the project.

There were six of us in class. Everyone used a different color palette. My blocks are the
turquoise background with the black and white prints. Our teacher also put her blocks on
the design wall, which is why there are seven color combinations shown here.

Here is Pat sewing merrily away!

Ironing in progress. I LOVE the quilt in front of the ironing board.
I told Pat NOT to let me sign up for it. It is a Block of the Month,
all hand work in wool. It was gorgeous!

This is what I was able to finish in class. I really like my color combination.

Pat and I both matched the colors we chose for our quilts.
Hers is the yellow and grey behind our heads.
Pat and I had a fun day together. The curved piecing wasn't too hard to do. I preferred to pin mine, although the teacher suggested that I try it at home without pinning using some scrap fabric. The pattern recommends using a lot of starch, which will help control some of the bias edges in this pattern. I really like the way mine is coming out, so I will have to keep working on it.

Hope you had a good weekend! It will be October 1st (and my brother Jeff's birthday) on Tuesday! Can you believe it?

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

P.S. Adding links on Sunday to Link a Finish Friday and Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Adding another link one week later to CrazyMom Quilts.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool block! I wouldn't mind learning how to make that one myself! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete