Wednesday, September 11, 2013

We Remember

This post has been excerpted from a blog post that I wrote for my blog at work, two years ago on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. This year, the anniversary of 9/11 falls between the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashonah (Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur (day of Atonement). This is a very appropriate time for reflection and prayer. I always remember the families and victims of this horrific event and offer a silent prayer for them.

The events of that day are still indelibly etched in my mind. September 11, 2001, was a beautiful sunny day. I had just gotten into the office when I learned of the first plane crash. My boss and I watched in horror as the second plane crashed live on CNN. The rest of the morning was spent desperately trying to locate friends and family, and searching for updates on the Internet. Quickly, our Internet channels became jammed. We were dismissed early from work that day and I, like many others, spent the rest of the day glued to my television, desperate for information. Some of my other friends and coworkers came much closer…

My co-worker Jon was scheduled to do a series of employee meetings in Jersey City, two miles across the river from the attacks. Standing outside his hotel, he watched the twin towers fall.

One of my friends is married to a pilot for American Airlines. On September 11, 2001, their twin girls entered kindergarten and he took the day off to attend a special breakfast at their school. He regularly piloted one of the routes from Boston that was hijacked. He was friends with the American Airlines pilot who was killed on Flight 11.


My co-worker, Allen was en route to a client meeting on the 39th floor of the North Tower (Tower 1). His plane landed at LaGuardia Airport at 8:30 a.m. As he approached the Mid Town tunnel, he began to hear ambulances. His taxi was turned away 10 blocks from the World Trade Center.

9/11 taught me that life was fragile and precious and that you could leave for work on a sunny Tuesday morning and never return home. Since 9/11 I try to make the most of every day. I never let Mike leave for work without kissing him goodbye and telling him that I love him. As a result of September 11th, I decided to stop waiting for it to be “the right time” to get a dog. My little pug, Romeo, will turn 12 in December.

Sometimes I’m amazed at how quickly the twelve years have passed. I still work with Jon and Allen. My friend’s twins are now seniors in high school. I met Mike in February 2008 and we got married in February 2012. Romeo has two pug brothers, Elvis, 11, and Larry, 4.

Today, one of my coworkers flew from Boston to Los Angeles on an 8:30 a.m. flight. I will be thinking about her and waiting for an email to know that she has landed safely.

Where were you on September 11, 2001? Did the events of September 11 change your life or cause you to re-evaluate your priorities? How will you observe September 11?

Much love and pug kisses to all of you,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Good Evening Nancy, 11th September 2001, I think is a date which is indelibly written on everyones hearts. I know everyone will remember where they were. I was at school and our school caretaker came to tell me that something awful was happening in New York. At the same time I received a telephone call from my daughter who worked in London to tell me what was actually happening. We switched on a television, and at first it was hard to believe what our eyes were seeing.... it was dreadful. It was truly hard to believe, but as the day wore on, and the BBC News was able to update us with broadcast we were all so sad. We were actually sitting in the staffroom, shaking our heads, feeling so very sad for everyone involved.
    I don't think any of us will forget what happened and yes, I agree, we must enjoy each day as it comes and always let our loved ones know how much we love them.
    Give Romeo, Elvis and Larry a big cuddle from me.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete