Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Tale of the Time Traveling Shirt

This is a story about a shirt.

I used to make my brother Gary a lot of Hawaiian shirts and jams (funky long shorts) when he was in high school. We would deliberately seek out the wildest fabric available. The shirt below was one of his favorites, and I even made him a pair of matching shorts.
Here is my brother wearing the shirt when he was in college back
in the '80s. One of his friends posted this photo on his Facebook page
for Throwback Thursday, so I was able to grab it.
I was really surprised when I found this shirt last year in a pile of boxes that I hadn't touched in 15 years since I moved from my apartment in Newton to my house in Hyde Park. I'm not sure how it ended up with my stuff. I didn't think it would fit my brother Gary anymore, so I gave the shirt to my nephew Sam. Sam is also fond of outlandish clothing and he owns some great hats as well.
The shirt is still performance-worthy even in 2014.
Sam is so cool. He is in a band called Bookman and the Faucets, and he wears his vintage '80s shirt to a lot of his performances. I think that Sam is a Faucet (which is kind of like being a Supreme), since he is not the lead singer. But they are quite talented, they write a lot of their own music, and you can download their album, Dad, or their new single, Seasonal Feeling. Check them out! 

My sister-in-law told me that Sam wears this shirt frequently and that he even wore it for one of his yearbook photos. Sam told me that five of his friends also borrowed the shirt for their yearbook photos. I can't wait to see this!

Good fabric never goes out of style! I can't wait to tell Sam that I found a cut out shirt in the same box that I never finished... I hope that I have all the pieces... the fabric is hot pink and orange with Mickey Mouse on it!

Linking up on Tuesday to Freemotion by the River. Thanks for visiting!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

5 comments:

  1. That is such an awesome story Nancy! Your family has so much character - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story and how cool is it that it has found another appreciative fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! It's so nice when something you make is loved by so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun Legacy! Oh, to think, if you only knew how far it would go when you made it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh, what a great story, and how fun to have pictures of the recipients in action while wearing that wild shirt!

    ReplyDelete