Monday, May 27, 2013

Live from the Berkshires! Well, not quite...

I had high hopes of posting daily from my quilting retreat in the Berkshires. I brought Mike's iPad with me. Sally loaned me her magic device that allowed you to transfer photos from your camera to the iPad. It took me a day or two to realize that I needed a Blogger Mobile App, and when I tried to download it to the iPad, it told me that I needed me to upgrade my operating system. So, long story short, I got back on Saturday night, and here's a recap (Part 1) of my very fun trip!

I managed to stitch down all the raw edges of my Magic Carpet Quilt. This took a full 8 hours. I still need to go back and satin stitch over all the curves and add borders. I love the colors and if you're not looking at it closely, you can't see all the imperfections.


Magic Carpet Quilt
I finished two blocks for my Swoon Quilt. I've received four blocks (out of nine) so far (it is a block of the month). The first block took me almost eight hours to make. It has a lot of pieces and you need to be very precise in your cutting, piecing and pressing. I did a lot of pinning and I pressed all my seams open. Once I understood how to make it, the second block didn't take as long.
Block One

Block Two
My friend Kate also brought back my Hawaiian Quilt, which her son Justin had quilted for me with palm trees. Mike picked out this kit at the Maui Quilt Shop on our honeymoon last year. I put the binding on the quilt on Saturday before I left and gave it to Mike as a surprise when I got home. He loved it. It went on our bed that night.
The fabric in this quilt is bark cloth.
Thankfully, I also put the binding on our Monster T-Shirt Quilt Commission, that Marion and I had put together for one of our customers. It is a high school graduation gift. Can't wait to hear how she likes it. Our friend Kim P. quilted this for us. Thanks Kim!
Finished t-shirt quilt---yeah!!!!
Marion was a busy little quilting bee as well. She made piano key borders for her Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt, Easy Street and assembled the top of her Kaffe Fassett layer cake quilt that was a class that she took last year at the Vermont Quilt Festival. She also put together the top of her daughter Susan's 50th birthday quilt. Susan's quilt is a lovely blend of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and batiks in daring shades of oranges and turquoise, a very stunning combination.

Layer Cake Quilt
Marion in action

Susan's 50th Birthday Quilt, a Chinese Coins variation
Sally was only able to join us for a few days. She made this fabulous duffel bag for her granddaughter. It is fully lined and has zippered pockets.

JoAnn finished her scrappy batik bargello quilt which she started at our Berkshire retreat last year. Isn't it magnificent?

JoAnn then put together this quilt top with another batik jelly roll. I love the pink and purples with the stars.

Jean finished the top of her log cabin star wall hanging. Are you getting that warm country feeling?

Kim P. (on right) found this idea on a quilting blog to make circular play mats. This is the first of three that she is making for some of her co-workers' new babies.
Kim also made us a delicious low fat lasagna dinner in a crock pot on Thursday night, using Pat's Weight Watchers' recipe. Yum yum!

More to follow!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, just love your quilts. Miss seeing all my quilting friends from the night group.

    ReplyDelete