Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A little Sunday fun at Sewphisticated Fabrics

On Sunday afternoon, Joannie, Marion and I made an impromptu road trip to Sewphisticated Discount Fabrics in Dorchester. I've mentioned Sewphisticated in my blog before, it is a great discount fabric store. Taking a trip to Sewphisticated is like going on a treasure hunt because you never know what you will find. Plus, all of the quilting cottons are $2.99 or $3.99 per yard. The remnants are $2.49 per yard. They also have apparel and decorating fabric. With these great prices, who can resist?

My first find were the four beautiful black, red, and white fabrics below. All were on the remnant table. There was a fifth coordinate but it was snatched out from under my nose by another eager shopper.

I'm thinking that these fabrics might make a lovely tote bag...

Next, I augmented my pillowcase fabric supply. The soccer fabric and the dog fabric are intended for my friend Helena's children in Ireland. They usually visit every summer, but they are having a new baby in August, so we won't see them until next year. I have to make a baby quilt too...

The money fabric is for my nephew Ben, age 11, and the Beatles fabric is for my older nephews, Sam, age 17, and Josh, age 14, who appreciate classic rock (and Aunt Nancy's pillowcases).


These fabrics will make some fun pillowcases!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the baby print below, but at $2.49 a yard it was too cute to leave on the remnant table.

Any suggestions?

This last fabric jumped into my arms as I was waiting in line to have my fabric cut. It is a decorator weight cotton and I fell in love with its bold graphic pattern. Again, I think it will eventually make a great tote or duffel bag.

Into the Stash for now!

But wait! My fun didn't end here...Joannie wanted some background fabrics with a little texture. While we were shopping she had found some of the Andover Dimples line in red and purple (with a little help from me) but what she really wanted was green.

So, off we went over the bridge and through Boston to the Somerville location. Carol and I had tried to find the Somerville location a few years ago, but we got lost and went home (and never tried again). Joannie, however, had been to the Somerville location before, so getting lost was not an issue.

Although Joannie did not find her beloved Dimples in green, she did find some nice motorcycle fabric to make a gift for her brother Tommy and a whole armload of other fabric goodies (no photos to protect the not-so-innocent). There was some nice bass fishing fabric, but Joannie did manage to turn it down. Marion also made a few small purchases. She has been quite diligent about not buying too much "on spec" (i.e., for the stash) since she is trying to make a dent in her current fabric inventory. How's that going Marion?

Look what I found at the Somerville location...it's the elusive fifth coordinate that I didn't grab fast enough at the Dorchester location (at bottom right). I also found a sixth coordinate (upper right) and added two more animal prints to my ever-growing animal print collection. A girl can never have too many animal prints? Right?


Hope you enjoyed my fabric shopping trip...I sure did!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

P.S. Linking up to Sew Many Ways.

5 comments:

  1. OOoooooo I love those black, reds, and whites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabric finds! Looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the black and red fabrics. Very nice. And all for such great prices. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds! I love collecting good black/ white prints and love the red too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the red, black, and white fabrics! Found you via Sew Many Ways. Enjoy your creative day! ~ Vickie

    ReplyDelete