Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Getting to the Fun Stuff

Last week I made two baby quilt tops. I need to finish them soon since they're both on a deadline.

My favorite parts of quilt making are
  1. Shopping for fabric -- this can be at the quilt store or in my fabric stash
  2. Cutting and piecing the quilt top
Some of the more tedious aspects of quilt making, at least to me, are putting on borders and layering the quilt.

My Monday night in the Studio was spent putting together the two quilt backs and making the bindings. I find that if I make the binding when the quilt is in progress that I'm much more likely to finish the quilt right away.

I went to my box of beige fabric to forage for the quilt backs. If you're new to my blog, you may be unaware of my hatred of beige.

Still not close to emptying the beige fabric box.
I recently decided that I shouldn't purchase any more plastic boxes, but instead focus on emptying them by using up the fabric or finishing the project inside the box. I found some quarter yard pieces that looked nice together. I made the backs a little more fun by adding a strip of the focus fabric from the front of the quilt.


Quilt back for Construction Vehicle Quilt

Quilt back for Winnie the Pooh Quilt

Bindings are ready!


As always, Joannie came over on Monday night to sew with me. Her project was bright and cheerful.

Joannie made vegetable print place mats on
Monday night. They are her own design.


I forgot to show you her golf table toppers that
she worked on the previous Monday night.
Now that my backs are made, I just need to layer the quilts and I'll be ready to machine quilt them this weekend. Perhaps, if I'm super fast, I will even get the bindings sewn on. That would be worth a Whoop! Whoop! as Sarah would say.

What's your favorite part of quilt making? What are you working on?

Hope you are having a great day!

I am linking up on Friday to Confessions of a Fabric AddictRichard and Tanya Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts. Please leave me a comment if you drop by!

I am adding a link on Sunday to Lily's Quilts Small Blog Meet Up. I can't even imagine having 50 followers. I'm thrilled to have 14!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

15 comments:

  1. Good idea to empty boxes rather than buying more. I finished the civil war blocks and they are ready to assemble into a quilt top. Still no progress on the Bonnie Hunter mysteries. They need to get out of their plastic boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember your New Year's Resolution! Must finish the two Bonnie Hunter mysteries! Carry on--as Tim Gunn would say!

      Delete
    2. I don't want to admit this but it's 3 mysteries.

      Delete
  2. I love the design and colors of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love pink. But I must confess, it's just a blogger template.

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog while reading Melody's comments. I am also trying to deal with a stack of UFO's...but can't be trusted in a fabric, thread, paper and art supplies shop! All good you might think...except I am a run of the mill player of many things...not a qualified artist! Retirement is awesome. I get more time to play in my shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have way too many UFOs, and am definitely not a qualified artist--it's supposed to be fun right? And what's more fun than starting a new project? Enjoy your shed time!

      Delete
  4. Chuckled at your plan to empty boxes instead of buying more--of course I've no need to think anything like that. :-)

    I love planning the quilt; I dislike cutting. I get bogged down in the middle of piecing. I perk up when I can start to see the pattern emerge. I love pieced borders. I don't like sandwiching. I'm learning machine quilting; I think I'm going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can trade--I'll cut if you make pieced borders...

      Delete
    2. LOL. We could keep the post office in business that way.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you - buying fabric is my favorite part!!! ;) The backs look great - can't wait to see them all finished!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I got both quilts layered last night and the plan is to try and finish both of them this weekend!

      Delete
  6. I love buying fabric of course! I am still new at trying to figure out color and placement but i am enjoying that aspect of it. I like to bind because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - I love to piece! I think my favorite quilt is scrappy becasue that is what i grew up around. xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. The theme fabrics are so much fun! Loved looking at your quilts (I followed your link from Lily's quilts). Hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! You are a no-reply blogger, so I'm unable to send you a personal note.

      Delete